Giggly and fluffy, Taiwanese Castella is a very soft texture like cotton.
And this recipe is very simple to make. Sugar, milk, eggs, flour, and vegetable oil. -That’s all you need to make Taiwanese Castella.
▶︎WATCH RECIPE VIDEO
- 50 g vegetable oil
- 50 g all-purpose flour
- 50 ml milk
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 150°C | 300°F. Line a 8-inch (20cm) loaf pan with baking paper.
- Separate egg whites and egg yolks and place the egg whites in the refrigerator to chill well for whisking later.
- In a large bowl, add the vegetable oil and sifted flour. Mix well with a whipper.
- Add milk little by little, and mix well.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Take the egg white from the refrigerator and make meringue. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer or stand mixer adding the granulated sugar gradually until medium-stiff peaks form.
- Take one-third of the egg whites and add to the egg yolk batter. Gently fold in without breaking the air bubbles in the egg whites. Once the meringue has been incorporated, add in another third and fold in. Finally, pour the batter into the bowl with the remaining egg whites and mix them together.
- The texture of the finished dough is that the egg white foam is mixed well with the yolk dough, flowing like a liquid and leaving a little behind.
- Pour into the mixture prepared pan.
- Place the slightly larger loaf pan. Set the loaf pan in it and pour hot water into the bottom of the larger loaf pan.
- Bake at 150°C | 300°F for 30-40 minutes. Bake until the dough has puffed up and the top is light brown in color.
- The baking time varies depending on the oven at home, and it's a little difficult to judge how well it's done, but it is about 30 minutes at 150 degrees if the heating power is strong, such as a gas oven, or it is about 35-40 minutes at 150 to 155 degrees if the heating power is weak, such as an electric oven.
- Take it out of the oven and serve immediately!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 106Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 21mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g